Tuesday, January 20, 2009

At the Foot of a Mountain We'll Climb Together

And now we have a new president. A new vision for our future. From the depths of our hard times, we look up and see the heights to which we can travel, and through the strength of the words of our new leader, we trust that our legs will carry us there. And we hope together, as we set off on that perilous journey.
I watched the inauguration by myself in our Jerusalem apartment, Barak Obama's assured voice overwhelmed by the simultaneous Hebrew translation that covered some of his words. Alone in my apartment, I cried, smiled, I was overwhelmed by the historic implications of the moment, and the personal implications of having someone I trust in the highest office of America, when almost half my life has been otherwise.
Today, I am proud to be an American.

http://wepress.org/inauguration/

No comments: